Friday, December 4, 2020

Tantra, Pranayama, and The Allure of Manifestation

In class this week, we discussed the importance of one’s body in Tantric Yoga, as it is believed that the body is the vehicle through which one may become enlightened. This a different approach than the belief systems we have studied thus far, all of which deem the body to be a physical aspect of the world that must be overcome.

 

Furthermore, in Tantra, the only time one may become enlightened is in this mortal body, one that our souls are not fortunate enough to inhabit often. Hence, many careful steps are taken to ensure that the body slows down its decomposition, specifically through the use and restraint of pranayama.

 

Thinking about this topic, I wanted to focus on a practice that emphasized the ability to feel and be one with the self in a very physical manner. While Kundalini Yoga is my go-to for practices that emphasize breath control and its myriad of beneficial properties, I went with a Vinyasa practice that offered new challenges, as unfamiliar asanas present a difficulty in breath control that even Kundalini does not match.

 

For this reason, I chose to do a Gaia practice that was 1 hour and 2 minutes long entitled “Open Your Heart to You” with instructor Mary Clare Sweet. Focusing on opening one’s heart through backbends via the belly and back, the asanas and meditations were geared toward staying open, vulnerable, present, and at times, engaging in the art of manifestation.

 

Clare opened up with quote: “How many times have you been in a conversation, or maybe a work meeting or in a planning committee or something, and you have this great idea. And you’re about to say it and share it. But all of the sudden a little voice comes up and you deny it and you keep it in. Or you’re in a relationship and you want to speak your truth or speak your heart and you deny yourself your basic right, your birthright, to express how you feel.”

 

This is a meaningful, relatable quote to be certain, but what I find interesting about it is that it evokes the same kind of skepticism in me that certain people who claim to be psychics do. These feelings of inferiority, borderline imposter syndrome and emotional hesitance certainly resonate with some more than others, but they are also feelings that are universal, experienced at one point or another. In the same way that zodiac readings make people feel in tune with their astrological sign (as a Taurus, of course I am stubborn!) these kinds of comments can put people at ease and make them feel that the instructor is speaking directly to them.

 

While not necessarily a bad thing, it is interesting to see the power of language in action and to think about how that power impacts one’s view of certain practices, including that of yoga.

 

Returning to the practice itself, I am going to focus on a few core asanas and the ways they surprised and challenged me this week!

 

First off, pranayama in Child’s Pose with the alteration of having my head resting on a block instead of on the ground changed the feeling of the asana drastically. I found it more difficult to keep an even breath, and my mind was more focused on the strange sensation of my forehead against the block then the amount of time between my inhalation and exhalation. The difficulty of just remembering to breathe in this kind of asana is incredible; though it sounds ridiculous, it is a fundamental part of doing the asana properly.


High kneeling, as Clare calls it, was another challenging asana, though it seemed simplistic in nature. Placing a yoga block in-between my knees, I straightened my back, my legs firmly planted on the ground as I stared straight ahead. Taking a full breath in, I extended my arms out to my sides, placing my hands up and my shoulders down. (Side note, my sister refers to this part of the asana as “Stop Man!” and it is a term I have come to associate with the position as a whole. The idea of saying “stop” while being in a vulnerable position is multi-layered, because it could be an unconscious call to connect with your limitations while simultaneously being aware that you are purposely pushing past them.) Exhaling, I brought my elbows together at heart’s center, and rooted the center of my exhale through my pelvis. With every inhale, my heart thrust out as a signal for “radiating” and with each exhale, my pelvic floor tightened, a physical symbol for being rooted in the moment.

 

The next asana that challenged me was one that was enacted from Tabletop position. Lifting my right arm all the way up, I circled my wrist a few times while the rest of my body stayed in Tabletop position. Threading my right arm underneath my left arm, I allowed my right shoulder and the side of my head to touch the ground as my left shoulder blade pulled back towards the rear wall. Resuming the original position, I repeated the entire process on the opposite side of my body. Subsequently, I channeled prana energy, circulating it throughout my body. Once again I pulled my arms out to the sides (stop man, back again!) inhaling as I lifted up, exhaling as I moved back, using a block between my legs as a way to move my body back and forth in an upright position similar to High Kneeling.

Downward Facing Dog was utilized uniquely in this practice too, as instead of staying stationary in the asana, I pedaled my feet, lengthened the backs of my legs and lifted my heels, shifting forward as I bent my knees, pulling back and then going forward in a continuous motion. Similar to swimming, I engaged my muscles to move forward, carrying my momentum and then bringing it back with each exhale.

 Core Wheels was another favorite position of mine, as lying on my back, I took a block and placed it in-between my feet, flush against the soles. With my arms out to the sides and my palms facing upwards, I moved my lower body forward in a circular motion repeatedly, all the while keeping my back glued to the floor. It was a strange sensation, the stretching of my thighs expanding against the strain in my lower legs, my inner thighs feeling an impact from the soles of my feet gripping the block ever so tightly.

 

Subsequently, Clare’s Funky Skandasana worked my ability to stretch and move quickly from side to side, as I fully bent my left knee and slightly bent my right knee as I extended my right leg. My pelvis did a majority of the work here, mirroring its involvement from High Kneeling. Going from side to side in this asana worked out my lower back and inner thigh muscles as well, leaving no room for error or doubt, especially when I stopped placing my hands on the floor and instead placed more weight on my legs, leaving my hands in prayer at heart.

 

The final asana, and the one that was most meaningful to me, was when I stretched, standing with my legs wide, each foot spread to the sides of the mat. Folding forward, I stayed hovering above the ground for a second before sliding my hands up my legs to my hips, interlacing my fingers behind me with my “unpopular” thumb on top. Lifting the center of my chest up, I exhaled, lowering my hips downward and folding over my lower body, the crown of my head reaching down to the earth. This was the first time all semester that I was able to touch my head to my mat in such a position, and I felt a flood of pride and happiness at being able to do so. It was a big moment for me!

 

To wrap up my thoughts, I do think it is interesting how much Clare mentioned the Law of Attraction and the power of manifestation. I have quite a few people in my life who believe very strongly in these concepts and blame themselves quite harshly for not manifesting well enough when things go “wrong.” Seeing this idea used in yoga is interesting to me, as earlier in the semester Dr. Greene had mentioned how this relates to yoga by bringing up the book “The Secret,” and speaking as to how spirituality and manifestation can become hot topics in the same conversation. After this practice, I now clearly see how the two correlate, one such way being in the usage of language and what message the instructor is trying to convey — in this case, the power of one’s own thoughts on their daily life.

 

An interesting practice, I simultaneously look forward to and dread my final practice next week, as I am only just beginning to get comfortable with asanas, meditation, and observing the nuances that yoga provides.


Until the Next Reflection,

Moujnir



No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Thoughts: How Capitalism, Belief, and Practice Influence Western Yoga

16 journal entries later: here I am.   When I signed up to take this class, I anticipated a challenging semester, one that would test my pre...